Saturday, November 1, 2008

About Martha McGlothlin Gayle

I'm the mom of four delightful little ones, all under the age of four (no, that wasn't a typo). Actually, they are under the age of 8 now but when I originally wrote this it was 4, which sounds more interesting! Ever since I can remember I have loved making things. Early on I spray painted pine cones and sold them to neighbors (through an aptly named business I started in the 4th grade, The Pine Cone Shop), decoupaged rocks and made Christmas ornaments out of pipe cleaners. I like to think I've progressed somewhat since then but I'll let you be the judge of that.

Everyone says I should have been an elementary school art teacher. It's true, I can't live without my Elmer's and glitter! Now I can do projects with my four little kiddies when the mood strikes me to paint or glue something.

I don't believe in throwing anything away. I've been caught taking things out of the trash (even my father-in-law's discarded jeans one time)! You just never know when you can use that scrap to make something cute. Repurposing things is just so much fun (not to mention economical)!

I believe my kids (and yours) should be able to express themselves artistically. I don't get bent out of shape when they put stickers all over the windows or draw on the walls. A little elbow grease will remove it and the scribbles bring a smile to my face every time I see them. Of course, this might not bode well for any potential buyers should I sell my house...

I love flea markets (I'd love to have a '72 turquoise Ford or Chevy pickup to haul all my finds!), yard sales (having them and going to them), ebay, organizing, making my home beautiful, making lists, taking photos and playing the piano, among many other things. If only there were more hours in the day!

Some of my must-haves include a glue gun, tape, staple gun and Sharpies (in bright colors only, please!).

Photobucket

No comments: