Sunday, March 1, 2009

Rose Bowl Flea Market Finds

One of my very favorite bloggers, Eddie Ross, is leading another fun shopping excursion, this time through the Rose Bowl Flea Market in Pasadena, California (if you're in the area on March 8, you must go! Check out this post on my recent trip to Scott Antique Market in Atlanta with Eddie). I thought I'd share two fabulous finds I made at the Rose Bowl market a few years ago.

My husband and I were in CA for three weeks, working with the wonderful surrogate who would eventually give birth to our twin baby boys! At this point we were gathering eggs, making embryos and transferring all of the good stuff to her in the hopes of making at least one baby (were we in for a surprise!).

The day finally came to harvest my eggs after many rounds of shots and medications, a procedure which required my being sedated. This also happened to be the only day during our entire stay when I could catch the Rose Bowl market (and it was only minutes from the clinic!). I didn't care if I couldn't stand up or see straight, I was going to the Rose Bowl! After all, it's not like I had to lie down for a specified amount of time to make the procedure take...my eggs were already safely nestled in their new temporary petri dish home, awaiting my husband's swimmer counterparts to be made into embryos.

Despite my condition, I made several great finds that day. Here are my two favorites. The first is a gorgeous vintage rhinestone belt buckle or scarf holder.


I've been sort of admiring it every so often in my jewelry box, waiting for inspiration on exactly what to do with it. A couple of weeks ago I had my Aha! moment. We were going to a black tie dance on Valentine's Day and I was looking for the perfect blingy necklace to wear with my little black dress and thought of this.

I put it on a crystal chain and voila! A very sparkly statement for the evening (and by the way, the vintage rhinestone earrings were scored on ebay).

The second is this vintage clear acrylic evening purse, which has a diamond pattern and rhinestones on front and an oversized rhinestone clasp. When I bought it I failed to notice (perhaps due to my woozy state) that you can't simply carry items loose in it without some type of covering, unless you want everyone to see your lipstick and unmentionables.

So, when I carry the purse (which is quite often), I use a colorful scarf (such as one of these) inside to wrap up my belongings and switch it out to match my outfit. Many of the scarves I use were my grandmother's, so I'm certain they feel right at home in the vintage bag.

You simply must go to the Rose Bowl Flea Market. I highly recommend it, pre- or post-surgery!


Photobucket

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so many great things!
xo
E

Anonymous said...

OK so,,,, i love the wat you used the rhinestone belt buckle as a pendant for your necklace! I have a some of these and rarely use them. Thanks for the idea.