Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Unique Uses 2

I spotted a few other unique uses for items last week. First are these old windows grouped together in an interesting art form at Roanoke C0-Op. I love old windows and this innovative use of them suspended from the ceiling makes quite a statement. The windows could also be hinged together to form an outdoor screen for a patio or greenhouse.

You might just walk right by this next piece of "art" (like I did) if you didn't know its new purpose. I found it at Black Dog Salvage in Roanoke. It's an old gas tank for a torch welder.

The tank has been suspended from a rusty iron ring. The fun part is that there is a wooden stick perched on an attached stand and when the tank is hit a wonderful bell sound emerges.

My grandfather owned a mining machinery business and I remember seeing what seemed like hundreds of these gas tanks everywhere in bright colors (mostly orange). My uncle still has them in the old shop building.

So of course this find held a bit of nostalgia for me and I couldn't resist it when I heard the bell ring. I decided it would be perfect for us to put in our backyard and call all the kiddies to dinner.

We will be living on a golf course though, so I'm not too sure how thrilled the golfers will be with the gong. I think I'll wait until someone hits a particularly bad shot to ring it just for fun.

Photobucket

No comments: